Program Duta Guru is a collaboration between Yayasan PETRONAS (“Yayasan”) and the Ministry of Education (“MOE”), through Pusat STEM Negara (PSN), to strengthen our teachers’ capability and continuously improve their quality of teaching.
In order for Malaysia to remain competitive and progress, it requires a talent pool that can tackle the complexities and challenges of the 21st century. Higher order thinking skills (HOTS) have been identified as one of the requirements for participants of the new economy. At the same time, the number of roles in technical jobs are also expected to increase with Industry 4.0.
However, statistics show that the number of students opting for science and technical related subjects is reducing – due to a lack of interest and competency.
One key intervention, as outlined by the government is to upskill teachers (in terms of quality and capability) who play a great influence on student choices and education outcomes of students, particularly in shaping their higher order thinking skills. Program Duta Guru aligns to this.
By 2030, Program Duta Guru will upskill 4,500 teachers serving as role models to enhance higher order thinking skills (HOTS) through Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education, as a foundation to improve our nation’s competitiveness.
Program Duta Guru complements MOE’s existing teacher development programmes through 3 Strategic Priorities –
- Training & Coaching: Support teachers with on-the-ground and virtual coaching and support
- Content: Curate high-quality STEM pedagogy and curriculum content
- Infrastructure: Provide teachers access to the latest STEM teaching and learning resources i.e. STEM Hub
The design and development of Program Duta Guru will be guided “by the teachers, for the teachers”.
The STEM Hub….
The STEM Hub is, amongst several others, an infrastructure resource in the programme managed by PETROSAINS to support teacher upskilling / development by connecting teachers to their peers for collaboration.
It will deliver a holistic approach to teacher training
- Programmes: Best practices, Pedagogical Content, Design-Develop-Do
- Online Content: Worksheets, Beyond Education (BEeD), PETROSAINS Design Thinking Process
- Beyond the Classroom Experience: At PETROSAINS and Playsmart centres
Starting January 2020, we will roll out the training with our first cohort of 150 teachers. Each cohort will undergo a 2-year upskilling programme. A new cohort will be admitted into the programme every 6 months, comprising:
- Secondary Teachers who teach at least 1 subject of Science, Math, RBT, Sains Komputer in lower secondary.
- Teachers from schools with majority of its students from B40 communities.
- Teachers who can commit to completing the 2-year upskilling programme and teaching students upon immediate completion of the programme
- Teachers from schools without MOE Special Programmes (STEMEC, Sek Amanah, TS 25 at least for Phase 1)
- Teachers with remaining years of service minimum 10 years (again, open on a case by case basis)
- Teachers who can commit to 30 days of training, spread over 24 months, to undergo upskilling and training in the programme.