Program Duta Guru is a collaboration between Yayasan PETRONAS and the Ministry of Education (MOE), through Pusat STEM Negara, which is a nationwide multi-year industry-linked programme to strengthen the capabilities of STEM teachers serving schools with a majority of B40 students.
We believe that STEM education is a catalyst to produce talents that can address the complexities and 21st century challenges for Malaysia to progress and remain competitive globally. However, the number of students choosing STEM related subjects have been declining year-on-year mostly due to lack of competency and interest.
As such, we look to our teachers to increase STEM interest and competency among pupils. We also recognise and appreciate teachers for their critical role in achieving 60:40 STEM enrolment – leading to the nation’s success.
Thus, Program Duta Guru is developed to enrich STEM educators for Malaysia’s sustainable future.
Program Duta Guru aims to empower 4,500 teachers to be highly capable STEM educators; serving as role models in enhancing students’ (especially the underprivileged) interest and competency in STEM education and in strengthening their higher order thinking skills by 2030.
Program Duta Guru complements MOE’s existing teacher development programmes through 3 Strategic Priorities –
- Training & Coaching: Support teachers with on-the-ground and virtual coaching and support
- Content: Curate high-quality STEM pedagogy and curriculum content
- Infrastructure: Provide teachers access to the latest STEM teaching and learning resources i.e. STEM Hub
The design and development of Program Duta Guru will be guided “by the teachers, for the teachers”.
Program Duta Guru Components
Program Duta Guru incites passion and raises capabilities amongst teachers for integrated STEM teaching, in a supportive ecosystem of teachers and stakeholders to obtain optimal increases in students’ interest and competencies in STEM education.
It also recognises and appreciates teachers for their critical role in achieving 60:40 national STEM enrolment – leading to the nation’s success.
Program Duta Guru offers teachers:
- Content: Industry-based approaches folded in with high quality STEM pedagogy and curriculum
- Coaching: Teachers are supported with on-site and virtual coaching for professional development
- Community: Peer-learning groups from across the country
- Commitment: Teachers are supported across two years with access to the latest STEM teaching and learning infrastructure and resources.
Starting January 2020, Program Duta Guru has trained more than 300 teachers in its first 2 cohorts.
Each cohort will undergo a 2-year upskilling programme. A new cohort will be admitted into the programme every 6 months, comprising:
- Secondary Teachers who teach at least 1 subject of Science, Math, RBT, Asas Sains Komputer in lower secondary.
- Teachers from schools with the majority of its students from B40 communities.
- Teachers who can commit to completing the 2-year upskilling programme & teaching students upon immediate completion of the programme.
- Teachers from Schools without MOE special programmes (Sekolah Amanah, Sekolah Berasrama Penuh (SBP), Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi (SBT) and STEMEC except TS25)
- Teachers with a minimum remaining service of 10 years.
- Teachers who can commit to 30 days of training, spread over 24 months, to undergo upskilling & training in the programme.
- ‘Guru Cemerlang’ may apply.
- Recommendation and support from Pengetua.
- Preference will be given to schools that have yet not representation in PDG.
- This is a program that requires Covid-19 Vaccination Digital Certification.
Engagement To Date
Trained 300+ STEM Teachers from 134 districts
144 School Improvement Specialist Coaches from 142 districts
6 Zones nationwide
9.5 /10 Overall satisfaction on average*
92% Principals of Cohort 1 Participants would recommend the programme to other teachers*